Located just 10km east of Orange. And was part of the property of WC Wentworth, who had made the first European crossing of the Blue Mountains in 1813 with Blaxland and Lawson in search of more fertile ground.
During the 1860s many gold claims sprung up in the area. The village housed a police station, post office, several hotels, one that has been at the same site since the 1860s, a school and a School of Arts. There are many fine examples of miner’s cottages still in existence.
Wentworth MineOrange City Council purchased the Wentworth Mine Site in July 2000. The former gold mine, used from 1890s – 1950s contains extensive above ground buildings from the mining era. It is proposed by Orange City Council to develop the site as a heritage tourism and educational facility.
Ref: Central NSW Museums website