Currency: Resourcefulness, Relevance, Resilience
30 October - 1 November 2011
Registrations are now open for Regional & Public Galleries NSW (RPG NSW) 2011 Conference which this year will be held at the Glasshouse Arts, Conference and Entertainment Centre in Port Macquarie. This year the conference is themed Currency: Resourcefulness, Relevance, Resilience.
This conference will investigate issues of sustainability for the sector from a triple bottom line perspective, exploring the three pillars of the environmental, financial and social. The program will cover sustainable practice across the range of gallery and museum operations and the conference will be a valuable professional development opportunity for directors, public programs and marketing staff, as well as gallery technicians with an involvement in facility maintenance. Through facilitated discussion and practical workshops, by the end of the conference we aim to have developed a list of strategies, both short and long term, with which to move forward to support the vitality and longevity of the sector.
Featured speakers include:
- Lucy Neal, UK, co-author of Sustainable Ability report and contributor to The Happy Museum Project.
- Jason Smith, Director at the Heide Museum of Modern Art on sustainable practices at Heide
- Emrah Baki Ulason will present the findings of the recent Lighting and Energy Effectiveness Report carried out by Steensen Varming
- Krista Huebner from The Museum of Contemporary Art on their use of social media and models for audience engagement
- Elizabeth Mead from the Museum of Old and New Art (MONA) about audience development strategies and their use of new technology
- Belinda Hanrahan from Hazelhurst Regional Gallery and Arts Centre on sponsorships as strategic partnership
- Jenny Fraser, artist and founder of cyberTribe on Indigenous art online
- Dr Usha-Iyer Raniga, Snr Lecturer, School of Property, Construction and Project Management, RMIT University on building green facilities
- Lis Bastian, formerly of Central NSW Councils (Centroc) and currently Director at Varuna, the Writers’ House, will faciliate an important practical discussion with all the delegates around the issues covered
- Further speakers to be announced
The conference will begin with a welcome drinks, registration and performances at 5.30pm-7.30pm on Sunday 30 October at Glasshouse Regional Gallery.
The Observatory is offering a special rate to RPG NSW conference delegates on stays more than two nights. You can visit their website here.
Call for Papers
Submissions are now open for papers from RPG NSW members for a session that will look at models for audience engagement.
Download a paper proposal form
When: from 5.30pm Sunday 30 October – 1 November 2011
Where: Glasshouse Arts, Conference and Entertainment Centre, 32 Clarence Street, Port Macquarie, NSW
Conference fees: $270 full price / $220 concession (plus $65 optional conference dinner)
Special offer: concession rate available to organisations that book 2 or more additional staff members
Further information: contact Cassie Charlton firstname.lastname@example.org or ph: (02) 9339 99914
Museums & Galleries NSW is presenting this conference in partnership with Regional & Public Galleries NSW (RPG NSW).